Industrial Reuse and Produced Water Reuse Research Request for Pre-Proposals
The Water Environment & Reuse Foundation (WE&RF) is seeking pre-proposals for industrial and produced water reuse research. Proposers are invited to submit on topics consistent with WE&RF’s mission to catalyze innovation through actionable research in water and the environment.
This solicitation seeks to fund innovative research projects that will significantly advance knowledge and scientific understanding, and that could provide fundamentally transformative results. Proposals advancing the science of water reuse in all relevant industrial sectors areas are welcome. WE&RF would consider proposals that would take existing research to the next level of completion, resulting in practical solutions to water challenges.
This research may cover a variety of industrial sectors including power generation, manufacturing, mining, oil and gas exploration, food and beverage, and other related sectors. Potential research topics may include, but are not limited to the following:
- The beneficial use of treated municipal effluent for nonpotable purposes in industrial operations
- On-site reuse of industrial wastewater
- On-site reuse of produced water from oil and gas exploration
- Reuse of industrial wastewater or produced water from oil and gas exploration for other purposes (e.g. agricultural irrigation)
- Research on the economics of industrial water reuse and making the business case for water reuse
- Exploring the energy/water nexus in industrial and produced water reuse
Anticipated WE&RF Cost: Proposers must indicate the funding needed to complete the research and whether completion is dependent upon other sources of funding in addition to the amount requested from WE&RF. Typically, awards are made in the $25,000 to $150,000 range.
A minimum of 25% of the total project value must be contributed to the project in the form of a cost-share and/or in-kind support or services.
Anticipated Period of Performance: The maximum duration for each selected project is two (2) years, unless sufficient justification is provided.
Pre-Proposals Due: January 20, 2018